This is a big show for me, and I'll tell you why.
1) I haven't had a solo show in a gallery in almost four years. The Birdhouse is not solely dedicated as a gallery, but it's closer to it than a coffee shop, restaurant, or small corridor, places I've been showing the past few years in Knoxville.
2) I've made seven paintings in the past two months. That's worth celebrating!
3) Many of these paintings have been on my mind for some time, and I've finally been able to put them on canvas. It's so fun to finally see them.
4) While some of the ideas I've painted have been around for some time, others came to me in the past month. I've finally found the time to paint ideas right as they come, which is not a luxury I've had in the past.
5) I've been able to delve into and include certain elements I enjoy in architecture, fashion, film, literature, and music. I mixed these things with the style I've been developing over the past few years. I'm making decisions as I go along, letting the paint respond to the initial idea.
6) I see this, and hope it turns out to be, one of my last (solo painting) shows in Knoxville for a while. The idea all along has been to take these paintings other places. I am dying to show in other cities, so if you have any advice on how to do so or have contacts in other cities, please email me. I'm a slow learner with these things, so I can use all the help I can get.
7) In regard to the opening, I'm buying food, beer, and will be present to mingle and talk about whatever it is all of you want to talk about. I don't do a lot of hostessing these days, so I'm looking forward to it.
If you are in Knoxville this Saturday evening, please come out. I want you to be there!!
*Not First Friday, but the day after!
800 N 4th Avenue
Knoxville, TN 37917
Saturday, November 5, 2011